I am 49 year old father of three and husband of one (for life)

Monday, April 04, 2005

Skipping, walking and the Pope

Don't know if you've heard, but the Pope died over the weekend at the age of one-hundred and six. I am amazed at the amount of coverage the networks have given this. The networks brought in the morning "A" teams. You know, Charlie and Diane at ABC; Katie and Matt at NBC and Steve and Edyie at CBS(who cares). Anyway, there is a good news- bad news angle to this whole thing.

The good news is that the name of Jesus Christ has never been heard (in a good way) on network tv as much as it has the last few days. The bad news is that most people hear the message coming from someone with a collar on might say, "He's a priest- he's supposed to say that kind of stuff." In other words- in one ear and out the other.

The good news is that the Catholic Church overall, is decidedly pro-life. The bad news is that a handful of folks who represent any other pro-life Christian community get very little (if any) attention from the networks- ever.

The good news is that there are millions of people around the world that are deeply committed to their Catholic traditions as evidenced by the prayer vigils, and deep sadness over the Pope's passing (at one hundred and twelve). The bad news is, at the end of the day, it's not about organized religions or the its leaders- it's about Jesus and what he has done for us. It's about focusing our attention on Jesus and trying to live our lives as he would if he had our bodies and our minds to live his life through.

Otherwise, Mrs. CC and I went to a couples' night out at a local church with some neighbors. A nice time was had by all. One of the highlights was a conversation I had with one of our neighbors:

CC: Hey, what do you do for exercise?
Neighbor: Not much, play basketball now and then.
CC: I'd like to start walking in the mornings. Would you be up for that?
Neighbor: I'd rather run. Hey, I know, why don't we combine the two and skip around the block in the mornings- whaddya think?
CC: OK! Sounds great- skipping is often made fun of and I have never really understood why...

At one point during the evening a "survey" of sorts went out with a few questions. This one stuck out for me:

What brings you contentment and peace? Sex. Walking. Having sex while walking. Is that so wrong?

Following our deep discussions at the church function, we all (the women) decided to go to the restaurant across the street and drink margaritas and daquiris (sp?). When is the last time I laughed so hard?

1 comment:

steve said...

I can't believe someone actually read my blog- and now they hate me! WOOO HOOO!

I agree that your pope did a lot for your church.

OK- the age thing may have been uncalled for.

My "title" ,as you call it, is no such thing and it doesn't prevent me from having opinions about other beliefs and religious traditions. These opinions do not mean that I am less respectful!