I am 49 year old father of three and husband of one (for life)

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I haven't posted for a few days and I'm not sure why. I like the idea of having a blog much better than actually writing for it. Anyway, today is Wednesday and I just returned from my third consecutive free lunch of the week- now that's important! Is there any theological significance to this, you ask? No.

I preached last weekend at Home church using the Emmaus Road experience taken from Luke's gospel (24:13-35). The message was titled "Timing is Everything" and the main idea I wanted to convey was: when we feel we have reached low points in our lives and feel as though God has "abandoned" us (like the two apostles at Emmaus may have felt), God will provide exactly what we need, when we need it.

When people ask me "how'd your sermon go last weekend?" I really don't know what to say other than, "I had help." I guess I could ramble on about my superior oratorical skills or my folksy-yet- humorous-yet profoundly spiritual commentary and insights regarding the text and its application to our daily lives- but I'll leave that one to the experts.

One church member (a genral practitioner) came through "the line" following the service and I thought it was a bit unusual because the good doctor doesn't normally go in for that kind of thing(socializing). As he approached I was thinking, "He's probably coming through to tell me what a great message I preached and that I would be a fool not to pursue full-time ministry, etc. As I held out my hand to shake his, he grabbed mine saying, "Did you know that the pew bibles and the hymnals have the same cover on them? Whatever.

Family life: We attended the littlest clergy kid's tee ball game Monday night and the girls brought a friend from the neioghborhood. Whilst the game was in progress, the girls were playing at the playground nearby. There happened to be a smart $#$# kid (boy) that made some off color remarks (too involved a story to tell) about the girls' mother (my wife). Anyway, the game wrapped up and the girls couldn't wait to tell me what little Johnny Troublemaker said about their mom. "Dad, what are you gonna do about it?"
"Relax, I'll take care of it", old dad said.

We all piled into the truck and pulling away "the boy" appeared. "Dad, that's him! That's the kid that said those nasty things about mom!"

I pulled the truck to the curb, rolled down my window, and cricked my index finger at the sexually frustrated, pre-pubescent potty mouth.

CC:"Young man... could you come over here, please? (Young man looks around as if I'm talking to someone other than him).

BOY:"Me?"

CC:"Yes, could you come here, please?"

BOY:"Sure." (His cheeks are red and has broken into a cold sweat- a lot of guys get that way when I get in their faces)

CC:"Did you say something about my wife?"

BOY:"What?"

CC:"Did you say something about my wife?"

BOY:"No."

CC:"Are you sure?"

BOY: "Yes." (drop of sweat on tip of nose)

CC:"OK."

I then gave him one of my "You lying little fart, I should beat the crapola out of you, but I won't" looks.

Let me explain. I will not listen to nor tolearate anyone talking smack about my wife or my kids at anytime in anyplace and I want them to know that and to witness me standing up for them! Now, what's the theological significance in that?

Gotta run- CC





did you say something about my wife?"


CC

2 comments:

Not here anymore said...

So, you're at SBTS part-time, eh? I actually go to Boyce, if you didn't already pick that up from my blog. Do you attend one of the extension centers, or the one here in Louisville?
It was nice again to have to stop by my blog. How exactly did you find it, I wonder?

Kyle said...

Allison, I think he did a google for "Boyce College Sucks. Seriously."

Just kidding... ;0)

Now did you really need to go "prove a point" to some kid at a tee ball game? Perhaps it would have been better to teach the kids that dumb shit don' matter?

Just a question, since you did blog about it... ;0)

K+