I am 49 year old father of three and husband of one (for life)

Monday, April 18, 2005

Family Tradition

I have a cousin that was in town this weekend (I didn't get to see him) and I was thinking that I probably haven't talked to him since the last family funeral. If we had talked over the weekend I suspect our conversation would have gone something like this:

CUZ: "So, I hear you're a preacher now?"
CC: "Yeah, sorta."
CUZ: "Following in grandpa's footsteps are ya?"
CC: Yeah, but there are a few differences..."
CUZ: "Like what?"
CC: For starters, grandpa was an alcoholic, paranoid schizophrenic, manic depressive, and sometimes violent man that was caught in one of the biggest cults in the world!"
CUZ: Oh.

Now, I'm not the picture of perfection by any stretch but at least I take medicine for my chemical imbalances! My grandpa was a tormented man and was sucked into the JWs along with his wife and family (my dad). I really believe that is was only by the grace of God that my dad survived his childhood much less overcome some of his own personal demons.

Meanwhile, we had good weekend that included the first of nine sermons on the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22 ff). Love was the first "fruit" discussed. My dad used to say in his AA talks, "Love is the answer, what's your question?"

CC

3 comments:

Kyle said...

See, that's one of those situations I'd have to go over in my head lots to sort out a tactful way to say it...

Let us know how it goes...

K+

Not here anymore said...

Well, Steve...that sounds like one of those conversations that needs to be had eventually. Good luck with that.

steve said...

This will be one of those conversations when I wish I was the "Bible Answer Man"


CC