I am 49 year old father of three and husband of one (for life)

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Kids and Giants

I took my oldest daughter to a band open house at the middle school (the same one I attended)she'll be attending next fall. Before we got out of the car she said, "Dad, you're not going to hold my hand or anything like that, are you?" This is a sign of things to come. By the way, she chose the trumpet (following in the footsteps of her legendary uncle) as her instrument. Pucker up, baby girl!

Monday night Mrs. CC and I heard Dr. Howard Hendricks speak at the seminary I attend. He was awesome! During the week, it's hard for us to get away with all the kid's stuff going on, but we planned ahead (two weeks) and got all of our ducks in a row to make it happen. "Prof", as he's known by his students, is a real giant in Christianity (he's about 5'0"). His theme was also the title of his re-released book "Heaven Help The Home Today". Here's the bottom line: God first, spouse second, kids third, everything else follows after that. I needed to hear that...

We went by ourselves, but ran into a couple we knew, who were meeting three other couples so we just had a great night out. After the talk I got to meet Dr. Hendricks. He was so kind, gracious and humble. He told the story of his bout with cancer and how the surgey, basically, took the entire left side of his face. It was noticeable up close, but the sweetness in his soul outshined the scars and skin grafts. We had a very memorable evening.

There was a photographer there and I noticed he took a pic of me talking to Hendricks. I contacted the photog. and asked if I could get a copy of the pic. COOL!

I'm fighting off a cold (big sniff) and feel I am holding it at bay, at least for now.

No comments: