I am 49 year old father of three and husband of one (for life)

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Ramblin' man, (Lord, I Was Born)

Weekend highlights:

Friday July 1: A quiet day at work. Therefore, I spent a good part of the day working on my sermon. I went to Jazzercise in the evening for a brisk workout (I was the only male).
Pizza and "The Pacifier" with Vin Diesel (it was awful- but the kids liked it) rounded out the evening.

I preached this weekend at home church. The sermon was well recieved and I got a lot of positive feedback from the ever-gracious home congregation. It was titled "An Offer We Can Refuse" and the text was Matthew 11: 25-30 where Jesus said, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest."

Sunday evening I was invited to preside at a renewal of vows (sort of). The couple got hitched at a JP's office, so the groom's mother decided to have a "ceremony" in the back yard of her house with many of her (the mother's) family members. I took my oldest daughter with me and we arrived about six. I met with happy hubby and wife do discuss the "ceremony" and we got on with it. From start to finish, it took about twelve minutes. The whole thing was very,very strange for a couple of reasons:

1. Bride and groom were heavily tattooed and clearly not interested in any of this God-stuff I was preaching.
2. Lots of drinks had been consumed (by the party-goers) prior to our arrival. Many, many speech- slurred, yet well meaning, toasts
3. Upon arrival, I was hustled away to meet with the couple, while my daghter was given a tour of the home that has been in this family's heritage for over one hundred years (very cool). Anyway, clergy kid made her way out to the back porch where all the "wisdom" was (the half-drunk guys).

OLD GUY: What's your last name, honey- Minister?
CLERGY KID: HUH???
OG: I say, uh ... what's your last name- Minister?
CK: Uh.... Like, NO.
OG: What's your first name, then?
CK: Stated her first name...
OG: First name what?
CK First name, last name.
OG: OK.
Clergy kid leaves the wisdom corner to find the Captain and sticks right by my side the reminder of our short time at the wedding "feast". The whole thing could very well be an episode our upcoming HBO series: "All God's Children".
The whole clergy family went out to dinner and then to see "Madagascar" (it was awful- but the kids liked it).

We spent the best part of Monday doing nothing. Around 5 we went to a neighbor's house for swimming, food and fireworks. Even though there was minimal drinking, those that did the drinking got pretty loud and a bit obnoxious. The good news is that they left prior to sundown.

That's probably more than you care to know about my life, right?

1 comment:

Theresa Coleman said...

It wouldn't matter, since "they was already hitched" but in Georgia it is against the law (and strictly enforced) that you may not conduct a wedding in which you do not ask the bride "are you here under your own free will" and never, never, never marry drunk people. Seriously.

Yet they don't make you ask if they are brother/sister or first cousins. Go figure.