I am 49 year old father of three and husband of one (for life)

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Back to back


Holy shoot! Look at this cat! It's the captain in his Sunday best! I figured out how to post pix- cool! What next?

I can't believe I'm posting two days in a row! Work is slow- time to write.

We wrapped yesterday up with two of the three kids having a really bad attitude. The eldest was jealous because the middle got the attention because it was her birthday and the youngest takes his lead from the other two so...

Mrs. CC and I fell into bed and desperately prayed our little hearts out because we felt so completely inadequate for the job of parenting. It is , without question, the toughest, most heart wrenching, turn your stomach into knots, make you want to cry over nothing, job in this universe! I told Mrs. CC that if we can withstand our eldest chid's journey through adolesence we can make it through anything! The US military should send parents that have gone through this stage of life with their kids to Baghdad to serve- it would be a piece of cake! I can see it now:

"Listen Osama, If I release all the anger and frustration I'm feeling at this very moment I could literally rip your head off your shoulders and I wouldn't even think twice about it!" Oh my gosh, did i just type that?

Now I am calm...

My dad died nine years ago today. It was a Saturday and it was hot. He, recently retired, decided he would try and improve his exercise (anything's better than nothing) regimen and was taking a walk in the heat of the day. According to the woman that was walking behind him, he simply stopped, laid the towel that was around his neck neatly on the ground, lay his weary body down and died. I'll bet you that he knew that was IT.

I miss him; his dry sense of humor, his kissing my kids, his somewhat half-baked hugs, his dressed up smell on Sundays, his buying lunch for the whole family (not really). I wish he and I could talk about everything that's happened since he's been gone. Does he know that Second street in downtown big city is now a two way street? What? Does he know there's a really cool, new ballpark to go and watch minor league baseball? Does he know that I want to be in the ministry? Does he know how nice our yard looks just after its mowed? Does he know that we are growing roses? Does he know that mom struggles at times? Does he know that I struggle at times?

Being a dad is hard work.

1 comment:

Theresa Coleman said...

Thanks for this. I miss my father something terrible -- as well as my mother. The talks we would have -- there are so many things I want to ask.

And I never understood child abuse until I had children. I understand that urge now. I don't understand the follow through, but I understand the urge.

We had three temper tantrums at our house yesterday -- and two were by the kids. Ha!