I am 49 year old father of three and husband of one (for life)

Friday, May 06, 2005

I got a phone call at 11:30 the other night from a family friend informing me that my uncle had a heart attack and was not doing well. The doctor came out of the E/R asking the family if they had or knew of a minister- enter the Captain. I lay in bed thinking about whether or not I would go to the hospital and be there for my aunt. My hesitation was due partly to "What am I gonna do? What am I gonna say? What if he dies and she falls apart? What then?"

I arrived at the hospital about midnight and uncle passed about 1:30 Thursday morning. By that time, there were ten or twelve others that had come to offer comfort to the family. The family asked me to preside over the funeral which is scheduled for Monday and I fell privileged to do so. I went home around left around 2:30 and didn't sleep much.

I've "done" a few funerals, but not for family members. This will be different because instead of spending time with the family learning about the deceased, I already know much of what they would tell me. My pastor has told me in the past, "Some of the easiest funerals you'll ever do will be life-long believers who were faithful in his or her service to God and the church. On the other hand, some of the toughest funerals to prepare for are the ones where the deceased didn't go to church and may or may not have believed in God. The funeral for my uncle is the latter.

I will talk about his life and his family and how much he loved them. I will talk about his battles and his victories with alcoholism. I will talk about his competitive nature and his passion for golf and I.U. basketball. I will also talk about his spiritual awakening as the result of the Twelve Steps of A.A. and that if he were to leave those who mourn a word of encouragement he would tell them to lean on God. If you're not sure who God is or if you're angry with God right now because of what has happened- lean on God anyway. God is the one who has promised to never leave or forsake us. My uncle knew what it was like to be broke and he knew what is was like to be rich. I'm not talking about money. He knew what it meant to be spiritually and emotionally broke, which made some of his victories even more rich.

I will post again following the funeral.

Cappy

2 comments:

Not here anymore said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your uncle.
Hang in there, cap'n.

Darlene Schacht said...

I look forward to the update. It's Wednesday now, so I hope all went well.

I am sorry that he is gone.