I am 49 year old father of three and husband of one (for life)

Thursday, June 23, 2005

(Today's Post is parenthetical)

I had a meting with the pres. Tuesday to discuss new position. Here's the short version: "Steve, you'd be perfect for the position", he said. "BUT, I've got a short window of time (Nov.1, 2005) to fill the position and that person needs to be up to speed by then, too. As I see it, we wouldn't be able to get you trained and up to speed by then."This did not come as a tremendous surprise as I was just doing some investigating.

After a few days consideration, I've gained some clarity regarding the ministry/job dilemma. My perspective was pretty black and white in my last post, e.g., "I'm either going to abandon this whole ministry thing or work in the "secular" world (if there is such a thing) and there's no in between. I can, however, choose to leave my position at home church (a tough decision), continue my seminary studies, spend more time with wife and kids therefore, building some margin in my life which is sorely missing today. I would have to find a way(s) to replace the income from the CLP position (I could preach as often as my schedule will allow). Why have I used parenthesis so much today?

Anyhoo, I will talk to home church pastor today and express my concern about my lack of time with the family.

I've had three calls in the past few days from folks asking me to marry them. Hang on now, I don't mean thay want me to be their husband, but to officiate/preside at their weddings. To the best of my undertanding, I no can do weddings at will. I can do weddings in our church for church members and follow certain parameters (pre-marriage counseling, et. al.). Now ther's an idea for some extra income: Go down to the local American Legion post and advertise weddins for $30. per. Who says the minstry isn't entrpeneurial (how do you spell that)?

2 comments:

Theresa Coleman said...

Oh and BTW -- marriage and funerals in my humble opinion, don't need special permission. I got my supervisor to agree that within the "community" or within the "church family," the sky's the limit. And funeral money can be $100 to $500 per. And you are performing a service for the community. Check it out with your supervising pastor.

Anonymous said...

Do You Have Any Information Regarding The Jewish
Whistle Blower?

Please assist at www.persuasion-university.com